Fall Background

August 30, 2013

DIY Laundry Detergent

I don't much care for PINK, but today it fits. I'm almost 38 years old. I've learned not to argue with myself. (Finally)

Boy Wonder and I are big into saving money whenever, wherever, and however we can. So we've often done the homemade detergent route. OK. Once. We did it once. We made this recipe but I didn't care for the inconvenience of the liquid. So I found this recipe. I bought everything except the baking soda and the Purex Crystals. I have to go back for the baking soda but I'm mixed on the crystals. I don't necessarily want fabric softener in all of my clothes, and Boy Wonder does not want frilly scent all over his. 

(Frankly, I don't blame him. I've always considered that a way of branding your man. A) If he's a good man, you don't need to warn other women off. 2) If they are "that kind" of woman, they want a taken man.)

But I do so like soft clothes...

Anyway, this was encouraging because it says it lasts about a year. I need something that will last about a year! We did our grocery shopping today - I spent about $200 (including the laundry stuff and  various other cleaning products that we do not buy each week). It seems like a lot, so I have to keep reminding myself that it should last about 3 weeks! (So if $50 of it was cleaning product/paper product and $150 is grocery - that's $50/week for 3 adults.)

The house needs a good "Spring Cleaning" so I've been buying extra stuff lately in order to tackle that. I'm no molly maid, so I'm thinking one room a day, other activities permitting. 

We might have to move in a few months due to a tax situation on the landlord's part. I'd rather not try to find a place that will allow us to live there with our 4 dogs and 2 cats and 3 adult humans. Only because I think it will be expensive and difficult - especially as we want a house with a fenced in yard. UGH. 

So, back to Wal-Mart so we can pick those things up. I'll update about that laundry recipe later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment